: Soup Base
This anchovy, radish, and dashima soup base is NOT an actual dish but a soup base that is used in other recipes such as dwen jang jjigae, soon du bu jjigae, kimchee jjigae, and dduk mandu gook.
- 20 large dried anchovies
- 1 medium white radish
- 1 sheet dashima
Soup Base Preparation
- Heat approximately ¾ gallon of cold water in a large pot on the stove until it boils.
- Prepare 20 whole dried anchovies, 1 sheet of dried dashima, and 1 medium sized peeled white radish cut into chunks.
- Add dried anchovies, dried dashima, and radish chunks into the boiling water.
- Leave on high heat until it boils, then lower to medium heat and simmer for another 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, the broth will be a light yellow color.
- Strain the broth to filter out the used anchovies, radish, and dashima. The softened radish chunks can be sliced and used in dwen jang jjigae if they are used right away. Otherwise the anchovies, radish, and dashima can all be thrown away.
- Any extra broth can be saved in the freezer for later use. Make sure the broth is entirely cooled down before storing it in the freezer. Add the cooled down broth into separate plastic containers or plastic ziplock bags depending on anticipated serving sizes.
- The frozen broth can be thawed out at room temperature and used in other recipes such as dwen jang jjigae, soon du bu jjigae, kimchee jjigae, and dduk mandu gook.