: Side Dish
Jang jorim is a popular dish to include in Korean lunchboxes (doshirak) or can served as a side dish (banchan) with rice. Jang jorim is typically made with flank steak and marinated in soy sauce. Brisket can be used instead of flank steak as well. Jang jorim can be stored in the refrigerator and enjoyed for several weeks.
- 1.5 lb flank steak
- ½ oz dried sliced shitake mushrooms
- 30 whole garlic cloves
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 1 tbsp Korean corn syrup
- 4 eggs
Flank Steak Boiling Instructions
- Rinse 1.5 lb flank steak under cold water, place in a large pot, fill with cold water, and place on stove over high heat.
- After boiling for around 15 minutes, a layer of fat and grease will form on the surface. Skim the fat and grease off with a spoon until the water becomes clear. Continue to boil the flank steak for another 30 minutes.
Vegetable Preparation Instructions
- Soak ½ oz dried sliced shitake mushrooms in cold water until soft. Prepare 30 whole garlic cloves and set aside.
Egg Cooking Instructions
- Gently place 4 eggs in a small pot of cold water. Add 1 tsp salt and place on stove over high heat. Boil the eggs for 5-6 minutes. Rinse the eggs and let them sit in cold water until cool. This will make the eggs easier to peel.
Flank Steak Preparation Instructions
- After 45 minutes of boiling, poke the flank steak using a fork to check if it is cooked all the way through. Place the flank steak on a cutting board and slice into 2-inch strips along the grain. Then slice the flank steak against the grain into 2-inch chunks. Place the flank steak chunks into a shallow pan with the soaked shitake mushrooms slices.
Flank Steak Marination Instructions
- Add 1 cup of soy sauce, 2 cups of strained beef broth, 1 tbsp white granulated sugar, and 1 tbsp Korean corn syrup to a small bowl and mix thoroughly. Pour the marinade over the flank steak chunks in the shallow pot.
Flank Steak Cooking Instructions
- Heat flank steak on high heat. When the marinade begins to boil, add the garlic cloves to the pan and heat covered for 10 minutes.
- Peel eggs and cut into halves. Add the halved eggs to the pan with the egg yolks facing upward and scoop some of the marinade over the egg yolks. Add ½ cup water and simmer for 15 minutes until done.
- Place an even mix of flank steak chunks, eggs, garlic cloves, and mushrooms into a serving bowl.