: Side Dish
Kkakdugi, or cubed white radish kimchee, is an easy Korean side dish to make at home. Kkakdugi requires a lot less work than Napa cabbage kimchee.
- 4 large white radishes
- 3 tbsp salt
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 10 cloves garlic
- 5 green onions
- 3 tbsp red pepper flakes
- Wash and peel 4 large radishes.
- Cut radishes into large cubes and place in a large mixing bowl. Only use radishes whose center is solid throughout. If there are any holes or air pockets in the center of the radish, this means the radish has gone bad and should not be used.
- Add 3 large spoonfuls of salt and 3 large spoonfuls of brown sugar into a small bowl and mix together evenly.
- Add radish cubes in layers into large mixing bowl, adding the salt and brown sugar mixture between each layer.
- Place a small pot of water on the stove and heat until it boils. Add 2 tbsp all purpose flour in a small bowl and mix with enough water to form a thin paste. Add the flour mixture to the boiling water and mix until it dissolves completely. Turn off the stove and place in a cold water bath to cool the flour mixture.
- Grate 1 tbsp ginger, mince 10 cloves of garlic, and cut 5 green onions diagonally into 1-2″ strips.
- Add 1 tbsp grated ginger, 2 tbsp minced garlic, and 3 tbsp red pepper flakes to the flour mixture.
- After 30 minutes the radish should be soft to the touch and liquid should have formed at the bottom of the bowl. Strain the liquid and set aside. Add 1 tbsp to the radish cubes, mix thoroughly by hand, and let sit for a few minutes so the color of the red pepper flakes can soak into the radish cubes.
- Add marinade to radish cubes. Use some of the strained liquid to clean marinade bowl and pour onto radishes. Mix in marinade thoroughly by hand. Add green onions and mix again by hand.
- Place marinated radish cubes into large glass jar. Pour any excess marinade over the top of the radish cubes.
- Leave glass jar at room temperature for 1-2 days to ferment and then place in refrigerator for another 5-6 days until ready.
- Place in serving bowl.