Galbi is one of the most popular Korean dishes in Korean cuisine and is very easy Korean recipe to make at home. Galbi is typically marinated for several hours using soy sauce, ground black pepper, brown sugar, garlic, green onions, sesame seeds, ginger, and sesame seed oil. Galbi is typically cooked over a charcoal grill in many restaurants but it can also be broiled or pan seared as well. Galbi falls under the Korean barbeque category alongside its boneless counterpart, bulgogi. Both galbi and bulgogi are typically eaten as ssam (red leaf lettuce wraps) and served with a variety of vegetables, sauces, and stews. To learn how to make bulgogi, see my Korean barbequed beef recipe.
- 3 lbs beef short ribs
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup soju
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp korean corn syrup
- 1 tsp ground sesame seeds
- 2 green onions
- 2 tbsp sesame seed oil
- Rinse short ribs under cold water to remove any excess fat and bone shards and place in a large bowl.
- Pat short ribs dry with paper towels and set aside.
- Add soy sauce, soju, brown sugar, minced garlic, grated ginger, ground black pepper, korean corn syrup, ground sesame seeds, chopped green onions, and mix thoroughly
- Dip each short rib in the marinade making sure to fully coat each piece. Place marinated short ribs in a large bowl and mix together with hands.
- Add 2 spoonfuls sesame seed oil and mix thoroughly with hand one final time. Let marinate for at least 1-2 hours before cooking to bring out more flavor.
- If the short ribs won’t be cooked immediately, they can be stored in the freezer in a plastic container or separate plastic bags to be enjoyed at a later time.
- Cook marinated short ribs on any grill for 3-5 minutes on each side until done.