: Side Dish
Sigumchi namul is a Korean spinach side dish (banchan) that is seasoned with garlic, green onions, salt, ground black pepper, ground sesame seeds, and sesame seed oil. This spinach side dish can also be used as an ingredient to the popular Korean rice bowl dish, bibimbap. Using the freshest spinach for this recipe will make this banchan taste the best.
- 3 bunches spinach
- 3 green onions
- 6 garlic cloves
- 5 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground sesame seeds
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp sesame seed oil
Spinach Side Dish Preparation Instructions
- Trim the ends off each spinach bunch and cut any large spinach leaves in half with a knife.
- Rinse spinach 3 times under cold water to remove any dirt.
Spinach Side Dish Cooking Instructions
- Heat a large pot of water on high and add 1 tbsp salt to the boiling water. Salt is used to retain the bright color of the spinach.
- Add the spinach to the boiling pot of water, flip 2 times, and immediately turn off the stove. The spinach should blanched for no more than 30 seconds. After 30 seconds immediately strain and rinse the spinach under cold water 2 times.
Spinach Side Dish Seasoning Instructions
- Squeeze any excess water from the spinach by hand.
- Add 6 cloves of minced garlic, 3 chopped green onions, 2 tsp salt, ½ tsp ground black pepper, 2 tsp ground sesame seeds, and mix thoroughly by hand.
- Add 1 tbsp sesame seed oil and mix thoroughly by hand one final time until done.